Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Wounded by love



Oh, I so need this quote from yesterday's Divine Office.

What, I ask, is more wonderful than the beauty of God? What thought is more pleasing and wonderful than God’s majesty? What desire is as urgent and overpowering as the desire implanted by God in a soul that is completely purified of sin and cries out in its love: I am wounded by love? The radiance of divine beauty is altogether beyond the power of words to describe.

~from St. Basil the Great's Rule for Monks
I am simultaneously reading John Saward's Beauty of Holiness and the Holiness of Beauty and von Balthasar's Glory of the Lord. There is so much in me that needs purifying, the interior burning up so that I may be more receptive to hearing God clearly. It's so easy to fall into the trap of self-satisfaction. How much I need humility. I suppose that's why I'm grateful to be teaching because it's always a reminder that to be a truly good teacher, one must first be a student.

Tonight, we will begin discussing the Our Father using Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth. Zadok asked me before Christmas to meditate on how Christ's earthly ministry was a continuous prayer and dialogue with the Father. I thought about how that relates to the Our Father. What a privilege then it is to prayer it as Christ himself gave us the words. And in Pope Benedict's book, he says that
...we must also keep in mind that the Our Father originates from his own praying, from the Son's dialogue with the Father. This mean that it reaches down into depths far beyond the words.
Pope Benedict goes on with his catechesis in showing that in Jesus' submitting himself to God's will, we come to know the mind and will of God himself, most eloquently in the Garden of Gethsemane and on the Cross.

No comments: