Friday, November 16, 2007

Random thoughts from a tired mind


....Deer season...On my way home from a meeting in another town last night, I was made more aware of my guardian angel hard at work....The route wound around in the back roads, quickest route, but this time of the year, fraught with dangers of deer encounters of the close kind. "Deer-in-headlights" is an appropriate expression, not only for the fear that is reflected in Bambi-type beings, but for the paralysis that momentarily takes over said creature and human driver as well. Thank you, St. Michael and all angels for the extra hard work last night in keeping me safe. Three deer was plenty to keep me awake

....Incongruities...I drive past this Tae Kwon Do studio everyday which advertises on its marquee board all sorts of specials. This week it's: Get rid of the holiday fat, sign up for classes! God is Love. You see, no matter what the special or ad, always at the bottom is this reminder that God is Love. Sometimes it's comical and other times, in the midst of bumper-to-bumper traffic, the little reminder burrows into my consciousness and helps me bear the exigencies of living in a city with ever-expanding population stresses.

....Worst job in my book...also daily, I drive past a person in a smiling giant mobile phone costume waving at traffic. I am sure the person is a he by the vigor of the wave. There is a specific rhythm to his wave, a flinging from the wrist of quick, slow, slow, slow. Throughout the dreadfully hot summer season he was out there waving at cars passing by. I wonder how much business he has actually garnered, and what logic his boss might have used to rationalize such an excruciating torture. There are some days where I will wave back at him and he raises his arm to break that monotonous waving rhythm in acknowledgment. I hope that he is paid well for the effort. If not, then perhaps some day he'll remember the arduous work and appreciate all of life's gifts.

....Autumn colors....how they're more brilliant on grey days. And when you look up as wind sweeps down, the falling leaves almost remind you of falling snow. When it's rainy, and a wet sweet gum leaf falls on your face, it's almost like a hand caressing your face. Yesterday, it was wet, overcast, and cold. Today, it's windy, sunny, and loud with rustling. I love autumn.

....Angels among us...the youngest son of one of my closest friends loves the Mass. He is quite young and yet knows in his heart that he wants to be a priest. The day revolves around "playing Mass" with most prized possession, a child-sized Mass kit. For all his love of the liturgy, during the Canon, he becomes excruciatingly agitated and has to be taken out to be comforted. Finally, last week, my friend asked him why and he said, "Well, I see Jesus and the angels behind Father during the Prayer." It's easy to dismiss this statement as "precious" or "cute". But I wonder...Unless you become as a child...

....Still, small voice...sometimes, in the midst of life's crises, when one comes to the point of wondering how to manage the weight, God breaks through in the most exquisite stillness and quiet. There is an elegant simplicity to God's answer that makes you stop and breathe again, to make you realize that you have been holding your breath too long with the strength of your own efforts. "Come away, my love," he says. "Oh, but the field needs plowing," you say. "And who will bake the cakes if I don't." "Take my yoke upon you...." Yes, Lord.

....May your Friday devotions lead you to a greater love for the Cross of Christ and the Eucharist that makes Christ present.

3 comments:

frival said...

Your point on the still, small voice is timely, Argent. I was just yesterday suddenly struck with the weight of all the people who have recently asked for prayers and how terribly inadequate I feel to be making any intercession on their behalf. Just as you said though, you do need to breathe now and then. I know my prayers are not perfect, but then I was asked for the prayers I could offer, not perfect prayers. Something about "moans and sighs too deep for words" comes to mind.

yusufyusuf said...

Nice blog...
Happy holidays...

The Epiphany Artist said...

wow that Child is blessed :)