Saturday, August 18, 2007

Summer Rain



Before Summer Rain

Suddenly, from all the green around you,
something-you don't know what-has disappeared;
you feel it creeping closer to the window,
in total silence. From the nearby wood

you hear the urgent whistling of a plover,
reminding you of someone's Saint Jerome:
so much solitude and passion come
from that one voice, whose fierce request the downpour

will grant. The walls, with their ancient portraits, glide
away from us, cautiously, as though
they weren't supposed to hear what we are saying.

And reflected on the faded tapestries now;
the chill, uncertain sunlight of those long
childhood hours when you were so afraid.

~Rainer Maria Rilke

4 comments:

Cure of Ars said...

I like poetry but I have a hard time when it’s written. How do you know the tempo and tone of the words? I really like to listen to hip hop because I like how the words flow. But when I read the lyrics you can tell the poetry is not in the reading but the hearing. To bad the authors of poetry don’t just put their works on You Tube because with out this I feel like I am missing out on the true beauty. Thanks for the post

Argent said...

Dear Cure of Ars,

Yes, it is hard to catch the tempo of a poem. I find that it's different each time I read it out loud. And also, with my favorite poems, my reading changes as my own experiences deepen.

Re poets putting their works on YouTube...we'd have to resurrect a bunch of them to do that. LOL! In the meantime, I read the poems as the medievals read, out loud, not silently as we all were told in first grade.

There are some fine readings of Shakespeare out there. My favorite is Alan Rickman, yeah, Snape.

Maybe I'll start podcasting some of the poetry featured here. Rilke is especially difficult to just read silently.

God bless.

Cure of Ars said...

"Maybe I'll start podcasting some of the poetry featured here. Rilke is especially difficult to just read silently."


That would be sweet. :)

Jay said...

Wow....