Thursday, May 17, 2007

Three Book Meme

~Forgive my inactivity in the land of lions this past week. There are lots of loose ends to tie up before I leave for Rome on Wednesday. Edmund has tagged me for the Three Book Meme, so I thought here's a good place to respond. With the handy-dandy Google Book Search, you can preview a book.


Three non-fiction books everyone should read:


1. The Western Canon by Harold Bloom (What makes a book great? What is the Great Conversation?)

2. On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius (since Edmund took Confessions by St. Augustine, here's the other book that guided me into the Catholic Church.)

3. The Story of Civilization by Will Durant (yeah, 11 volumes--only a couple of summers’ reading material, vero?…found the whole set in a second-hand store called The Dusty Bookshelf for $50)

Three books of fiction everyone should read:

1. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (who can resist a Mole, a Rat, and a Toad being friends? and how about the chapter “The Piper at the Gates of Dawn”…and the opening paragraph: Spring was moving in the air above and in the earth below and around him, penetrating even in his dark and lowly little house with its spirit of divine discontent and longing.)

2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen ("excessively diverting")

3. A Soldier of the Great War by Mark Helprin (a book to be savored page by page)

Three authors everyone should read:

1. William Shakespeare (please, if my kids can enjoy reading the plays out loud, you can, too. My daughter was reading Ophelia's part in Hamlet when she was seven)

2. St. Augustine (I'm going to sneak in Confessions here and City of God)

3. St. Francis de Sales (Introduction to the Devout Life is one that I have in my backpack everywhere I go)


Three books no one should read: (I won't even link these.)

1. Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren

2. Purpose-Driven Church by Rick Warren (these two were required reading for vestry when I was still an Anglican.

3. Anything Dan Brown and if you think he’s the best writer of all time (which an acquaintance of mine said after reading DVC), you’re not reading the right books.

Tagging: Kira, Dim, and Fr. Z

2 comments:

Dim Bulb said...

Hi Argent,

I posted my meme a couple of days ago. One of the people i tagged actually listed THE ELEMENTS by Euclid as number one in the category
Non-Fiction Books Everyone Should Read. I'm guessing it doesn't have much of a plot.

Argent said...

The Elements by Euclid...hmmm, sounds like Earth, Wind, and Fire. Weren't they some group in the 70s?

Thanks for your list, Dim. When I get back from Rome I'll try to read one from it.

Take care and have a great Pentecost.